The Gap Experience
- Live with a host family in a medium- to larger-sized community
- Propose and implement your own community development projects together with local community members
- Gain vital work experience through hands-on internships with a local agency
- Participate in ongoing trainings to develop leadership, evaluation and community development skills
- Go on adventurous excursions with fellow Gap participants to enjoy even more of the culture and beauty of Nicaragua
Community Development Internships
Based on your interest, you will be placed in an internship at one of our partner community development agencies. They include:
- Plan International strives to make lasting improvements in the quality of life of children in developing countries all over the world including Nicaragua.
- Los Pipitos works to promote the human rights of people with disabilities in rural Nicaragua by offering a wide array of direct services to over 20,000 disabled children annually as well as educational programs for families.
- Las Tías serves vulnerable children and teenagers in the city of León, Nicaragua by providing academic support, vocational training, and nutrition programs at their community center.
- Instituto Politécnico LaSalle supports investigation of green technology and implementation of eco-friendly practices solar panel usage and better waste management in urban and semi urban regions of Nicaragua.
Monthly excursions offer an opportunity for the students to explore, learn more about the local culture, have an adventure or relax, and get to know your fellow Gap participants.Hike to the top of the breathtaking Mombacho Volcano, visit the beautiful colonial town of Granada, tour a sustainable coffee plantation, or admire the biodiversity of the Nicaraguan rainforest.
Take advantage of our internship abroad opportunities and apply for your gap year today!