León is a college town near the Pacific coast of Nicaragua. Home to many museums, colonial churches, and cafes, it is a culturally rich hub of activity. Spend an afternoon studying Spanish in your hammock or take a weekend trip to relax on the beach.
You’ll get to know the land of lakes and volcanoes as you settle into your internship at one of our partner agencies and work on a collaborative service project.
The Gap Experience
- Live like a local with a host family
- Enjoy the independence to design your own community development projects together with local community members, travel, and shape your own experience
- Improve your Spanish through authentic cultural immersion
- Gain vital work experience through a hands-on internship with a local agency
- Participate in professional trainings to develop leadership, evaluation, and community development skills
- Count on 24/7 on-call support
- Go on adventurous excursions with fellow Gap participants to enjoy even more of the culture and beauty of Nicaragua
Community Development Internships
Based on your interest, you will be placed in an internship at one of our partner community development agencies. They include:
- Casa de Cultura leads cultural and art classes to increase local engagement with the arts.
- Las Tías serves vulnerable children and teenagers in the city of León, Nicaragua by providing academic support, vocational training, and nutrition programs at their community center.
- Instituto Politécnico LaSalle is a technical school that focuses on developing the professional skills of young Nicaraguans.
Monthly excursions offer an opportunity for the students to explore, learn more about the local culture, have an adventure or relax, and get to know your fellow Gap participants.Hike to the top of the breathtaking Mombacho Volcano, visit the beautiful colonial town of Granada, tour a sustainable coffee plantation, or admire the biodiversity of the Nicaraguan rainforest.
Take advantage of our internship abroad opportunities and apply for your gap year today!
Full year: August 26, 2018 – May 31, 2019
Fall semester: August 26 – December 21, 2018
Spring semester: January 20 – May 31, 2019
Want to know more? Sign up for an info session.
Ready to get started? Click here to apply.