A Letter from Sara Nathan, AMIGOS President & CEO, on our 57th Summer
August 26, 2021
Our 57th summer has now come to a close and I am so proud of what we’ve accomplished. 415 volunteers stepped up to make a difference in their communities. Online and in-person, they collaborated with peers from across the Americas, explored issues they care about, and developed their personal leadership skills.
During a tremendously challenging year, I remain filled with hope. As AMIGOS has proven over more than five decades, young people have incredible capacity to make an impact on their world. AMIGOS is here to show them how.
The AMIGOS impact is so powerful because it endures.
This year, our team:
- Redesigned programs to meet health and safety concerns around COVID-19
- Updated training curriculum to include modules on race, privilege, ethical service, and design thinking
- Piloted a partnership with the Houston Independent School District and the Brazilian Consulate in Houston to run a virtual service and immersion program for high school students in Houston, Texas and Belo Jardim, Brazil
- Launched our first-ever U.S.-based Summer Program in Colorado
- Designed the inaugural Social Impact Accelerator, a virtual program for recent alumni to implement a service project in their home communities.
These 415 volunteers could not have done this without you. You rose to the challenge and helped AMIGOS remain strong. Thank you so much for being a part of the AMIGOS family.