AMIGOS offers these programs:
- Summer Program experiences in Latin America for ages 13–19
- Gap Program for high school graduates ages 17–22
All AMIGOS volunteers must meet the general health criteria for participation. Visit this page to see the requirements for each program and explore your options and check out how to join AMIGOS here!
Talk to a Program Counselor
A consultation is optional but recommended. Schedule a call with our team here or RSVP for an info session here! We’ll help you figure out what project is best for you and your family and answer any specific questions you have.
Choose a Chapter
Your Training and Fundraising Path
Your AMIGOS journey begins with our expert training program that prepares you for life in Latin America, cultural adjustment, communicating across cultures, and developing your leadership skills. It is a fun time to make new friends and explore interesting questions before traveling abroad.
- Summer Program
- Local Chapter – Find one near you and train throughout the spring.
- National Chapter – Open to anyone, whether or not you live near a local chapter.
- Gap Program
- National Chapter – Train with fellow volunteers at a four-day workshop upon arrival in-country
Find out more about local chapters here. Learn more about the difference between local chapters and the National Chapter here.
Your online application will take approximately 30–40 minutes and includes questions to get to know you better, as well as your choice of project location and country.
We won’t ask you for your GPA!
We want to learn more about your motivations, why you are interested in AMIGOS, and what you are hoping to gain from your experience. The essay questions are:
- Tell us why you would like to become an AMIGOS Gap Program volunteer.
- Explain what you think your biggest challenge will be on this program.
- While adjusting to the new culture and living environment, some AMIGOS volunteers experience homesickness and other types of transitory discomfort. These can manifest as feelings of anxiety, loneliness, frustration, irritability, fearfulness, sadness, or depression. Knowing yourself as you do, what emotions do you anticipate you will be most likely to experience? Which of these do you expect will be the most difficult for you to manage?
- During the Gap Program, you will be co-living and sharing a space with approximately 10–12 other people. When feeling stressed at home, what tools or strategies do you use most effectively to regain perspective and improve your mood and functioning?
- Why are you applying to AMIGOS? What do you hope to gain from this experience?
- What previous experiences (work, volunteer, extracurricular) have prepared you for this program?
- Tell us about your personal and family background. How has this played into your decision to apply to AMIGOS?
For the Summer Program, the $50 application fee is required for your application to be considered fully submitted and ready for next steps!
Start your application now!
Interview or Consultation
You may be contacted shortly after you submit your application to be interviewed via phone or in person, depending on your chapter and program choice. You will have the chance to share more about yourself and your passions and motivations.
If your chapter is not holding interviews or if you’re applying to the National Chapter, schedule a call with us or attend an info session!
Acceptance and Paperwork
You’ll be notified shortly after an admissions decision has been made. After this, you’ll receive a welcome packet in the mail with more information and some fun surprises. It’s time to start getting excited!
During this time, you will:
- Finalize your paperwork and medical forms
- Apply for financial assistance (optional)
- Attend parent and volunteer webinars to help guide you through what to expect
Get ready for your AMIGOS experience! Don’t forget to check in with your chapter or Admissions Officer if you have any last-minute questions. You’ll receive more details and packing lists to ensure you’re ready for your AMIGOS adventure!
Welcome to the AMIGOS family!