JOIN OUR DYNAMIC TEAM
PROMOTE YOUTH LEADERSHIP ACROSS THE AMERICAS
AMIGOS staff believe in the power of youth to change the world. Join our community that works everyday to help young people do amazing things.
GREAT BENEFITS AND VACATION TIME
Hard work is important, but our staff are encouraged to have a great work-life balance.
GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY
AMIGOS staff participate in bi-annual volunteer days to give back to our community, and have many other optional service opportunities throughout the year.
TRAVEL TO LATIN AMERICA
Many of our staff members regularly visit our programs and help with youth trainings in the US and Latin America. Take advantage of this opportunity to get out of your element!
Amigos de las Américas (AMIGOS) is a leader in international youth development, creating a world in which young people realize their full potential as leaders and global citizens. We provide extraordinary opportunities for youth to design and lead projects in collaboration with U.S. and Latin American peers and partner organizations across the Americas. Our strong partner network, built over 55 years, enables authentic engagements in communities across the region.
The VISTA member will help build AMIGOS’ capacity to expand opportunities for young people from diverse backgrounds to engage in service and have life-changing opportunities. AMIGOS is a youth leadership organization with 55+ years of experience providing authentic service opportunities to young people in the U.S. and Latin America. As AMIGOS expands its reach in the U.S., this VISTA role will be integral to building a strong media presence that engages young people in service activities. The VISTA will support the marketing team with content development, storytelling, and relationship building. Additionally, the VISTA will support the team in developing institutional relationships in Texas to increase the number of young people engaging in service opportunities, including schools and youth-serving organizations. The VISTA will play a key role in data collection and will lead story collection efforts. In this dynamic role, you will practice project management skills, learn about media, meet with partner institutions, learn about Texas, and help provide life-changing experiences for young people.
Location: Houston, Texas required. Current remote working position until further notice due to COVID-19.
Compensation: AmeriCorps VISTA Members receive a living allowance for their service. Visit the AmeriCorps Benefits page to learn more.
Service Term: 07/19/2021–07/18/2021
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collect stories of impact and create content;
- Complete marketing and social media research;
- Compile feedback from youth participants into shareable content;
- Create and administer surveys to collect data; draft website language;
- Research and draft blog content;
- Develop graphics for new programming; learn new digital marketing skills and programs (Canva, video editing, website/social media management);
- Create video content for youth-focused media; support management of AMIGOS social media platforms;
- Manage guest blog relationships; and
- Support team to increase digital footprint;
- Research and develop a list of local youth service organizations to recruit youth for service opportunities; and
- Develop partnerships with organizations to recruit youth volunteers;
Additional duties as assigned.
- Reports to the Marketing Director
- Regular collaboration with the Outreach team
- Regular collaboration with other VISTAs, VISTA site supervisors, and VISTA Project Director
AmeriCorps VISTA Requirements
- 18 years old
- U.S. citizens, nationals, or legal residents
- Successfully complete a criminal background check
- Political advocacy, organizing, or demonstrating while on VISTA duty, or while perceived to be on duty, is prohibited
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Choice of education award or stipend
- Education award upon successful completion of service
- Health coverage
- Living allowance
- Relocation allowance
* Visit the AmeriCorps Benefits page to learn more.
View the Service Opportunity Listing and apply here.
For more information about AMIGOS, visit our website: www.amigosinternational.org AMIGOS is an equal opportunity employer.
Amigos de las Américas (AMIGOS) is a leader in international youth development, creating a world in which all people are lifelong leaders sharing responsibility for our global community. Our programs give students the opportunity to gain essential education and life experience, leadership training, and an entirely new network of friends by living and working in amazing communities throughout the U.S. and Latin America. Our strong network of community partners, built over 56 years, enables authentic engagements in communities across the region.
This is a great opportunity for someone who is enthusiastic about the nonprofit mission of AMIGOS and wants to work with our Travel Team to ensure the safe and successful movement of our volunteers to Latin America. This position will learn and handle a wide spectrum of travel logistics and interact with volunteers from a variety of our programs.
Location: Miami, FL
Compensation: $13.50/hour when at the airport and $100/day for On-Call return dates
Work Schedule: This position should be available to work on the days listed below at the Miami International Airport.
Training: This position is expected to complete 1-2 days of virtual training in May or early June.
EXPECTED WORK SCHEDULE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The days below are the set Travel Days for AMIGOS Summer Programs connecting in and departing from Miami. To be a successful candidate, you should be available on all of the dates listed.
The Travel Support Specialist will be expected to be at the airport for approximately 8-12 hours on departure dates, beginning each day when the first volunteer flight lands and ending when the last volunteer flight takes off (exact times to be determined). If an overnight stay becomes, necessary, the Travel Support Specialist would be expected to chaperone volunteers overnight at a nearby hotel. However, these hours will depend on the travel itineraries of volunteers.
For return dates, the Travel Specialist would be On-Call in the area and be able to get to the airport within 30 minutes if any issues arise with volunteer travel. Mileage to/from MIA will be reimbursed up to 30 miles each way and food, parking, and lodging (if necessary) will be covered by AMIGOS.
Note that a successful candidate would be available on each travel day as well as able to extend work hours through to the following day in case of an overnight stay due to flight change or cancellations.
Responsibilities when at the airport include:
- Wear AMIGOS swag so as to be identifiable to traveling volunteers
- Enter airport terminal and stay with volunteers as they wait to make their connection
- Take roll of volunteer and ensure all students are accounted for and communicate to the Tavel Hotline Team Member
- Ensure each volunteer board their connecting flight
- Assist volunteers in getting meals, water, and passes out snacks
- Attend to any volunteer health and safety needs and liaises with the On Call Team should any issues arise
- Maintain active communication with the Travel Hotline Team Member about cancellations, delays, issues, etc.
- In the event of delays or cancellations, arranges lodging for an overnight stay and stays at hotel with volunteers. Ensure volunteers return to the airport and boar their rescheduled flights the next day.
Responsibilities of being On Call on Return Travel days:
- Be physically located no more than 30 minutes from the Miami International Airport
- Be accessible by phone in the event that it is necessary to go to the airport or attend to an emergency
- Be physically prepared to commute to the airport and complete any and all of the above responsibilities should the need arise
June 8: Departure
June 22: Departure
June 28: Return
July 8: Departure
July 12: Return
July 20: Departure
July 28: Return
August 9: Return
- Must be 18 years old by June 5, 2021
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the AMIGOS Medical Director) by June 5, 2021 and able to show documentation of vaccination. As of March 31, 2021, the CDC considers a person to be “fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last required dose of vaccine” (cdc.gov)
- Must have appropriate ID in order to enter airport security
- Detail-oriented personality with high level of self-direction
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle emergencies in a calm, controlled manner
- Ability to initiate and complete relevant tasks with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Transportation to and from the Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Successful completion of a background check
- Experience working with youth ages 15-17
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with travel day logistics at MIA, including but not limited to tracking flights and effectively communicating with gate agents
- Provide support to AMIGOS volunteers traveling to country
- Communicate with AMIGOS’ travel team regarding any missed flights, severe delays, etc.
- Communicate with the AMIGOS On-Call team of any emergencies that occur with volunteer travel
- Any other duties as deemed necessary
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Mileage Reimbursement
- Parking costs paid by AMIGOS
- Food provided on Travel Days at MIA
Submit a resume with a cover letter highlighting qualifications to:
Amigos de las Américas
Email: [email protected]
For more information about AMIGOS, visit our website: www.amigosinternational.org
AMIGOS is an equal opportunity employer.