JOIN OUR DYNAMIC TEAM
PROMOTE YOUTH LEADERSHIP ACROSS THE AMERICAS
AMIGOS staff believe in the power of youth to change the world. Join our community that works everyday to help young people do amazing things.
GREAT BENEFITS AND VACATION TIME
Hard work is important, but our staff are encouraged to have a great work-life balance.
GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY
AMIGOS staff participate in bi-annual volunteer days to give back to our community, and have many other optional service opportunities throughout the year.
TRAVEL TO LATIN AMERICA
Many of our staff members regularly visit our programs and help with youth trainings in the US and Latin America. Take advantage of this opportunity to get out of your element!
POSITION TITLE: Cohort Associate
POSITION TYPE: Part-Time Internship
LOCATION: Remote – US or Latin America
DURATION: 8-week contract + training
Amigos de las Americas (AMIGOS) is a leader in international youth development, creating a world in which young people realize their full potential as leaders and global citizens. We provide extraordinary opportunities for youth to design and lead projects in collaboration with US and Latin American peers and partner organizations across the Americas.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, AMIGOS launched our first-ever virtual program – the Community Impact Project. The program will connect students to channel their energy into working with other young leaders across the U.S. and Latin America. They will create projects that address our most pressing issues during this global crisis while building a network of like-minded individuals committed to creating positive change. The Community Impact Project is designed to activate this energetic network of change makers by giving them the space to build new communities both globally and locally while they learn what it means to be a leader. Through online modules, virtual meet ups, and mentorship, this project will foster different strategic approaches to cultural connection, project development, and personal leadership.
The Cohort Associate is responsible for supporting the execution of the Community Impact Project for a single cohort containing approximately 12–14 students from the U.S. and Latin America.
This position reports to the Cohort Director and is a part-time internship for approximately 12–15 hours/week.
This is a unique opportunity to develop and implement a virtual youth leadership program, support youth to take action in their local community, and to learn/practice online facilitation.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Understands & effectively communicates AMIGOS mission, vision, and core program components
• Complies with all AMIGOS policies and procedures
• Demonstrates effective teamwork & communication skills
• Demonstrates responsible decision making and creative and constructive problem-solving skills
• Facilitates training methodologies that are appropriate for a diversity of learners and demonstrates confidence speaking in public
• Uses tact and sensitivity in interactions with all AMIGOS constituents
• Provides effective support and guidance for diverse youth students
• Communicates effectively in English & Spanish
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supports Cohort Director in project implementation
• Understands, upholds and enforces the AMIGOS Standards of Conduct and other policies and procedures
• Complete 2 to 3-day virtual training prior to program launch (tentatively 9 am to 2 pm PT).
• Co-facilitate live sessions with the Cohort Director
• Provides Technological support during sessions
• Support preparing for weekly activities
• Support creating extra curriculum material as needed
• Follows weekly schedule for cohort activities
• Provide ongoing programmatic feedback to the Cohort Director in order to make program
adjustments as needed
• Co-facilitate and organize optional student activities related to culture and Spanish language
• Follows expectations for positive and professional working relationships
• Support Cohort Director in coordinating, supervising, and providing ongoing support to the
students including but not limited to monitoring performance, attendance, participation, and
completion of program curriculum
• Completes additional duties as assigned by the Cohort Director
• Fluency in written and spoken Spanish and English
• Completed 1+ years at a university or equivalent
• Experience volunteering and/or working in community engagement in the U.S. and Latin America
• Excellent group facilitation skills, particularly with high-school aged youth
• Previous experience working directly with high school youth of diverse backgrounds
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and Excel; willingness to learn to manage an online learning platform
• Prior experience with AMIGOS
All sessions run October 20 – December 19, however there are different options for the weekly
facilitated live sessions. Depending on your availability, you will have to attend one of these sessions.
Tuesdays and Thursdays: 3 PM Pacific / 5 PM Central
The Cohort Associate will be mainly responsible for supporting the Cohort Director in the co facilitation
of live sessions/optional activities. Their role will have direct responsibility for diversity of tasks related to
curriculum design, delivery, and implementation.
The Cohort Associate will also play a relevant role in assisting the Cohort Director in the preparation and
planning of the different live sessions/optional activities.
Their weekly schedule will include:
• Meetings with Cohort Director to plan live sessions and optional activities
• Check in weekly with their Cohort Director
• Support in different areas as needed and requested by each Cohort Director
Submit application materials to Pablo Dávila at [email protected] with the subject “Application – Cohort Associate”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning in early September.
Application materials consist of:
• Resume (English or Spanish) (Maximum two pages)
• Essay Response (500 word maximum per question)
- Tell us about why you are uniquely qualified for this role (English or Spanish)
- Tell us about your interest in delivering a program virtually to youth (English)
- Tell us about your leadership style (Spanish)
- Indicate your preference/availability for each of the session dates (1-4)
- 0 = NotAvailable, 4 = Preferred session
Note: AMIGOS staff will do their best to take into account your preferences regarding the placement of
each of the Cohort Associates in the different sessions, however it must be stressed that the final
decision regarding locations will be made by the AMIGOS staff team.
To realize the AMIGOS vision and mission, we believe in the power of every voice and the wisdom of diverse voices. AMIGOS embraces universal diversity, including: race, nationality, ethnicity, socioeconomic
status, religion, age, gender, and sexual orientation. AMIGOS seeks to include different life experiences, belief systems, abilities, and opinions throughout our work and aspires to eliminate barriers to inclusion and participation.
AMIGOS is an equal opportunity employer.