We know that young people have the capacity to change the world.
When given the opportunity, they rise to the challenge and create meaningful social change. We also know that it takes a community of deeply committed educators to support these young people.
Below are the opportunities to engage with AMIGOS in Latin America this summer. We look forward to finding the best fit for your interests.
Thank you for joining us as we work to inspire the next generation of global leaders.
Join the 7-day professional development experience for educators in Panama
Cross-Cultural Experiential Education and Leadership
Dates for 2021 trip coming Fall 2020
This professional development opportunity is a compelling and powerful field experience for a committed cohort of educational professionals and school leaders.
Course Description: Educators in this program will build their own leadership capacity, peer professional network, and commitment to global understanding. Participants will return home to their schools with new learning modules, inspired multi-disciplinary curriculum ideas, and enhanced tools to better support developing leadership and global competencies in their students and learning communities.
Learning modules include:
- Understanding Cross-Cultural Communication: Participate in workshops and simulations intended to spark personal reflection on cross-cultural differences and inspire connection back to local school communities.
- Building leadership skills: Explore frameworks for identifying and building leadership skills in youth and how to grow their capacity through experiential programs.
- Dive into core indicators of success for building committed global leaders inside and outside the classroom.
- Create strategies for real-world classroom applications of youth leadership skills development.
- Student Engagement & Collaborative Community Development: Travel to the field to observe our collaborative community process in action.
- Discuss how to support students in understanding failure as well as success.
- Develop strategies to guide student learning processes.
- Observe as students transform into catalysts of positive change in their communities.
In addition, professionals will:
- Engage with the culture of our host country.
- Build genuine connections with our host community members.
- Visit AMIGOS participants in their communities.
- Explore critical issues impacting Latin America today through authentic, hands-on opportunities to meet with AMIGOS partner agencies and local leaders.
- Develop and deepen their own experiential learning process. Each day will end with reflections and opportunities to explore local culture and bond with other educators passionate about providing experiential opportunities to your students.
- Educator program fee: $1,800 (flights not included).
- Program fee discounts available for educators who support recruitment and nomination processes.
- Must be a middle or high school educator, lead administrator, or school staff to participate.
How to Join:
- Fill out the online application form.
- Schedule & conduct Interview with AMIGOS staff – get to know each other, walk through the experience, and assess if you will be a good fit for this opportunity.
- Learn of your acceptance within seven days. Pay program deposit of $150.
Applications will be reviewed and processed on a first-come, first-served basis. There are limited spaces for 13 educators, so we encourage you to apply early if possible.
Questions? Please contact Lauren Hauser at [email protected].