Basic Requirements to Participate in AMIGOS
Discover AMIGOS Program
US State Department Grant Programs- Youth Ambassadors & American Youth Leaders
- Be a 9th, 10th or 11th grader in the San Francisco Bay Area or Houston Area.
- Be between the ages of 15-17 at the start of the program.
- Be a US citizen.
Additional requirements may apply for specific projects. See our current projects for more details.
AMIGOS Program Costs
Program fees for all AMIGOS programs are comprehensive and include:
- Round-trip international airfare
- Costs of all pre-departure training & materials
- On-site training and orientation
- All food, lodging and transportation costs
- Full time program staff
- 24- hour emergency on-call communication systems
- Global travel medical insurance
- Program excursions
- Credit for service hours
- Individual evaluation of performance and growth
- Access to the AMIGOS alumni network
The program fee does NOT include:
- Immunizations and medical examinations
- Passport/visa fees
- For participants training through the National Office, round trip airfare to attend pre-departure training (Houston, TX)
- Airfare change fees for early returns
- Personal equipment (i.e. mosquito net, backpack, clothing)
- Discretionary purchases in Latin America (i.e. souvenirs, food outside of meal plan)
Summer Program- High School & College
The program fee for chapter participants varies, please visit your local chapter’s website to see its fee. Group fundraising allows chapter participants to pay a lower family fee for participating in AMIGOS summer programs.
The program fee for participants training through the National Office:
- $6,275 for all summer projects (except Discover AMIGOS)
- $6,775 for the 9 week project in Barranquilla, Colombia. This fee includes registration at Universidad del Norte in Barranquilla.
- Participants who return for a second summer receive a $500 discount.
Discover AMIGOS Program
- $3,175 for Discover A (June 21 – July 5) or Discover B (July 12 – July 26)
- Full Year: $24,900 in Nicaragua; $26,900 in Ecuador
- Semester: $12,950 in Nicaragua; $13,950 in Ecuador
- Apply by the early bird deadline (March 15) to receive a $500 discount.
- AMIGOS summer program alumni also receive a $500 discount per Gap semester!
US State Department Grant Programs – Youth Ambassadors
- These programs are fully funded for all selected participants.
- Financial aid is available for immunizations, medical examinations, and passport/visa fees
More information on funding your AMIGOS trip.